Pros and cons of building a garage with a living area
The real estate business nowadays is in an expansion. On the other hand, it is very unstable and it can be very expensive at times. That means that if you need more space, you have to spend a lot of money on a new place. In order to avoid this, you can try building a garage with a living area. Lots of Americans consider this as an option so we should really see whether this is a smart option of not. Find out in the rest of this article!
What is actually a garage in a living area?
This is actually a solution to the problem that many Americans have, lack of space! We all know how expensive a whole new real estate can be so it is natural if you think of this solution. Garage with a living area is exactly that, built garage on the same floor where you live. But the real question is whether that is a smart decision.
How to construct a garage?
It may sound like really delicate a hard job but it is not. Yes, it is delicate because you want the room to have a perfect size. Your belongings can be a little problem since you have to store them somewhere else. There are a ton of Miami storage facilities you can choose from and relocate your stuff to a safe place like this. A good thing is that you do not have to spend a big amount of money to achieve this.
The only thing you have to do is to get packing supplies like moving boxes where you can put your things in order to relocate them. Most moving companies offer this service as well so you can get everything just with one phone call.
What if you do not have that much storage space?
Even though storage units are not that expensive, everything depends from place to place. You may have to get a smaller storage unit but in a price limit that you have set. If it happens that you do not have enough room to put all your stuff from the room that will become a garage, you should learn how to maximize your storage space. The key is to put stuff in the strategic locations. For example, putting one box on top of another is a good way to maximize your storage space. Instead of losing space, you get even more since you can put even more boxes on the top.
Pros and cons of building a garage with a living area
Pros of building a garage with a living area
- No need for extra room- The good thing about doing this is that you do not need any extra space whatsoever. The only thing you have to do is to think of a way how to achieve this.
- Easy access to the garage- When you build your garage near your living space, you do not have to get out of the house to get access to your vehicle. Imagine you have to go out in winter where you have to put on full winter clothes. But since the garage is probably just a wall away from you, going through the door is your only job. On the other hand, getting out of the garage can be a problem due to the garage door you choose to put. It is important to lubricate the garage door frequently so that you can use them freely even during the winter.
- Utilities- Another great thing about constructing a garage in a living area is the easiness of installing utilities in the garage. As you may think, it is necessary to install them in the garage as well. It is much easier to do this when you are making a garage with a living area than a detached garage.
Cons of building a garage with a living area
- Loss of space- This is a little confusing. Yes, you are getting an entirely new room but you are losing a space you previously used. You could have used it for various purposes but if you can’t buy an entirely new house with a detached garage, this is the only solution.
- Safety reasons- When you absolutely have to install a garage with a living area, you do not really think about the safety. The only thing on your mind is the area where you can park your car in the winter. On the other hand, if you do not think about yourself and your family, there could be serious health consequences. The best thing you can do to ensure that you do not suffer from any of the bad sides of your installment is to reinforce the walls around the garage. They will prevent fumes and gases from leaking to your house.
Where will you build a garage?
This question may come as a surprise but it is not. There are two places where you can build a garage, ground floor or basement. There are certain differences and things that you have to do to achieve this. One important similarity is that you need to have adequate isolation around the garage. For example, if you plan on moving to Florida, you will have to consider this a lot. Florida can become very rainy at certain points of the year so you could have a big problem with the water in your basement. With proper isolation and drainage system, you can be sure that your garage will not freeze over the winter.
Building a garage with a living area is a job that you have to be careful about. Even though there are many good sides to doing this, it is not for everybody. This is a perfect thing for people that need a car for their everyday activities. Even though many people have cars, not everybody uses it on a daily basis. On the other hand, it can cost quite a lot to do this depending on your wishes and the quality that you want to have. In order to make a perfect decision, you have to include all of the factors and see whether you will construct a garage in a living space or not.