Best ways to handle a small move in Florida
Do you need to move to Florida? Then, it is time to prepare for your relocation. As you might know, moving can be stressful. However, if you organize your move properly, it should not be a problem. For this reason, start searching for the best moving companies in Florida while you read about the best ways to handle a small move in Florida.
Where to find moving companies for a small move in Florida
Every move needs a moving company. Unless you are a professional in this field or have experience in moving, you should hire movers. However, since there are many fraudulent companies, you have to be careful. Here are some good ways of searching for moving companies.
- Ask your friends and family – if you know that someone from your family or a friend moved recently, ask them about their moving company. If they are satisfied with their services, then you can hire the same company as well.
- Search on the Internet – the Internet is the best place to search for anything, moving companies included. For this reason, you can search for moving companies Hollywood FL, for example.
- Check their official websites – almost every moving company has their official website. For this reason, visit several websites so you can see what they offer.
- Ask in your local Facebook group or check your local newspapers.
Check the credibility of your moving company
As it was mentioned before, there are many fraudulent moving companies. For this reason, you have to be careful when looking for one. The best way to avoid fraudulent moving companies is to check their credibility. All reliable moving companies should have a license issued by the FMSCA or the BBB. In addition to this, you should read a couple of moving reviews. Try to avoid the 5-stars and 1-stars reviews as they only focus on either good or bad aspects of one company. The most objective ones have 3 or 4-stars. People who write these reviews will usually say both positive and negative details. In addition to this, if a moving company has less than 3 stars on average, you should avoid it since many people are dissatisfied with their services. You should find the best moving company even for a small move in Florida.
Start organizing your small move in Florida on time
Even for a small move, you need to give yourself enough time to prepare everything. This means two months in advance would be ideal. In addition to this, you should get a binder and create a moving folder. This is a good way to keep track of everything and to have all the important moving documents in one place. You should start by making a moving checklist. Also, you can create a timeline with all the important dates. If you make a very detailed schedule, then you will not miss any deadlines. As for your documents, you should gather your personal documents as well, such as passports, social security numbers, medical records, your pet’s medical records, your children’s school-related documents, and so on. Apart from these, you should also gather documents related to your new and old home, such as a mortgage, loan agreement or lease, and similar.
Take an inventory
You should take an inventory of your items to see how much your move will cost. The movers will do the same when they come to do the in-house estimate. Make sure to show them everything you plan to move so you can prepare your moving budget accordingly. In addition to this, the inventory is a good way to see which items you want to move. For this reason, divide your items into three categories, one to move, one to sell/donate, and one to throw away.
Items to move – make sure to wash/clean them and let them dry completely.
Sell/donate – you can organize a garage sale or sell the item online. As for donations, contact several charities to ask them about their policies and what they accept.
Items to throw away – you can rent a dumpster and throw all the items that you no longer need.
Packing supplies for your small move in Florida
In order to protect your items well, you have to buy or get packing supplies. These should include the following.
- Moving boxes – buy as many moving boxes as you need. Cardboard boxes are quite sturdy and they will provide necessary protection for your items. In addition to this, you can get moving boxes for free if you want to save money. Ask your local stores if they have any, check the local groups on Facebook since people make a post if they are giving away their boxes, and so on.
- Plastic bins – plastic bins are quite popular and they are even better than ordinary moving boxes as they offer protection from moisture and pests. However, this option can be expensive if you have many items.
- Tape – you need to seal the boxes.
- Wrapping material – either bubble wrapping or old clothes, blankets, sheets, and so on.
As far as packing for your small move in Florida is concerned, you should pack one room at a time. Only when you finish one room, you can start with the next one. This way you will avoid creating a huge mess where you can lose some items or damage them. Make sure to wrap all the items, secure the boxes, and label them. For large and heavy items, disassemble them and pack each piece separately. In addition to this, your movers will lift and carry boxes to the moving truck so you do not have to worry about damaging your property or items. Lastly, get moving insurance, just in case something unpleasant happens.
All the moving tips for your small move in Florida
As you can see, these would be all the tips and tricks for organizing a small move in Florida. Make sure to follow them!